Budget Being Burned?

The controversy of the upcoming budget cut for our West Hartford Schools has students and teachers worried for their education and jobs. This budget was originally proposed by Tom Moore as a $153.28 million cut but, on Tuesday at the Town Council meeting it was announced, it could be peeking towards $166.2 million.

“I am confident that this budget will maintain the quality of West Hartford Public Schools and will meet the needs of our children.” Tom Moore, during Tuesday Night’s meeting.

This budget cut is hard to predict as the Board of Education does not know exactly where budgets are being demolished. Non teaching staff are predicted to be cut first and hit the hardest. Grants will also probably be given out in very limited numbers.

On the other hand, some staff didn’t even know about the upcoming cuts happening in the district. But the budget cut announcement has given a tense feeling in the teaching community, especially the staff here are refusing to talk about it due to the free of losing their jobs. The schools superintendent  sent out an email to all non tenured teacher were given non renewal notices, meaning they need to apply for their job again for next year.   

“Programs could be a loss” said Principal Dan Zittoun, but the school’s biggest priority is to account for what matters most to students in their academic life. Zittoun feels “fees could go up for playing sports or even sporting events.” The predicted increase of fees hopefully can keep certain programs like field days and student air shows running instead of diminishing them.

Even with these cuts coming into effect soon, students have always been advocates for fundraising for their desired programs. Local places like Chipotle, Harry’s,  Noodles & Company and many other restaurants offer fundraisers to help student oriented groups promote their passions or support their cause.