Wizard of Waz

Wizard of Waz

Enthusiastic, sarcastic, super-smash loving, lanky man: All of these can and have been used to describe the science teacher Hall loves, Anthony Wasley. This year Anthony Wasley has been chosen to speak for the 2017 graduating class, but why is that? What makes this teacher so much more special than the others that the senior class shares such close bonds with?

When asked about being recognized to speak at graduation, Wasley said it was “really special to have that recognition, I don’t think I could have done it without the class of 2017”. It is really clear just how much Wasley cares about his students. He said “I’ve watched you all evolve. I’ve heard your voices change. I’ve watched you get passions.” 

Wasley has known the class of 2017 since they were in eighth grade and he was our science teacher. After teaching these seniors for five years. Now he has taught most of the senior class. In a way, he has grown with them. I’m sure becoming a high school teacher is not the easiest thing in the world, being a high school student, and seeing what teachers put up with on a daily basis. But, Anthony has handled the position with an appreciation for his students and an unparalleled enthusiasm in the classroom. Wasley was also nominated this year for teacher of the year, although he did not win.

Wasley has taught about two thirds of the current seniors at Hall High School in his past four years of teaching at Hall, he loves the school. He said he thinks Hall is a great place to teach, that it is a tolerant place. “The community embraces as many kids as we can, and allows people to be themselves.” While not only being a fun loving teacher, Mr. Wasley continuously proves that he is just as caring of a person and really loves this school. Everything that he told us is a perfect representation of why he was selected to be the speaker at the class of 2017 graduation.        Mr. Wasley, and his beloved fish.