How Early is too Early

Should the school day start later? What would the benefits of having a later start time? Would an extra hour help students focus better in the morning or is our generation just lazy? Hall high school starts at 7:30 every day. Most of us have to wake up around 6:30to get to school on time everyday sometimes possibly even earlier than that everyday.depending on how close you live to the school.I personally think the start time should be pushed back to 8:00 or 8:30 , which is not that bad for a school start time.7:30 is really early for the start of the school day.Mind you i have been doing 7:30 for a long time so i am not saying that 7:30 is not doable because i have been doing it for four years but 8 – 8:30 would be a better start time for everyone.The teachers and the students would benefit from a later start time.Will giving us an extra hour would help us be more focused when we come to school or will we just as tired as we were before and feel as if we need more sleep every morning ?

Many studies show that earlier start times increases the risk of anxiety and depression. With a later start time there would be a lot less Psychology disorders such as , stress and school phobia. HIgh school should not be a time where people are being bullied and don’t want to come to school.If you are struggling to come to school in the morning that is a very big problem many people have anxiety without the early start time even if they pushed it back they would feel the same way regardless but it is a factor. Depression is also a big factor.

Waking up at 7:30 especially for teens is a lot harder because teens have a routine of going to sleep at a later time every day.We end up having to wake up at a much earlier time,causing us to.come in not fully focused and overlooking and missing some information We should  have more time to regroup from the night before. This would make every class a better and more engaging class be a better and more engaging class.This would benefit everyone the teacher, students,and administration because every classroom would have a overall better experience.Many private schools do not have such an early start time but yet students seem to succeed and excel.

I realize the argument that having an earlier start time leads us to be adults and helps us be more prepared for the “real world”.The administration want us to be responsible adults and waking up early is apart of the whole process. As teens we need more sleep. We barely get seven hours of sleep every night and having school at 7:30 is really pushing back the amount of hours each of us get a nigh.

Sleep is very important to us.As teens we have to grow and develop and the main dilemma for us teens is not the the anxiety, depression and not being focused it is the hours of sleep that we get every night. Teens from West Hartford brought this the capital where they tried to get a later start time. I do not believe that this will happen in this next four years because it takes time for a change like that to happen.