Abijah Cole

Taken at Fall Fest with club members from Voices of the Other.

Racism at Hall

The stories and experiences that students have faced.

November 3, 2017

Students of color expelled from a college visit, a violent confrontation on a bus about racial slurs posted on social media, have brought a lot of attention to these questions: How prevalent is racism at Hall? How far does Hall’s ignorance really go? Do others feel the same way?

We listened to numerous individuals who had different perspectives on an issue that continues to plague our nation, and our school.

Rafaela Sousa, a senior at Hall said, “The school doesn’t do anything to fix the problem. They fake it and let people think that this school is perfect and racism doesn’t exist in the school at all.”

The students that were interviewed felt that the incidents stemmed from racial prejudice. A numerous amount of people agreed that administration doesn’t take racism in the school as their main priority.

Who are those students that feel their voice is being ignored? They are the 35% of minorities enrolled.

This image displays how Hall High’s diversity within the school’s community compares to the state’s average.

Integrated within that 35% are; Asians, African Americans, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, and American Indians. The 65% majority are Caucasian students that some feel, have been heard.

Do our students really see us as a community or a divided union?

Asia Brown a senior at Hall  says, “Yes I have experienced racism at Hall, but it would be slick comments” like a white kid saying the n-word, “or I would be singing a song in the cafeteria and my friends and I would get excited and sing the song loud not on purpose but we’ll get side comments from the white kids calling us ghetto. I feel uncomfortable.” Students like Asia have safe places to discuss these incidents but this is a school wide problematic .

The seniors now and some administration may remember the incident that happened three years ago, swastikas and racial slurs posted around the school. That incident brought about clubs like, Voices of the Other. A social justice club that students felt was necessary.

If any positive changes are to come, we need to unite as a community.

As a minority at Hall High school, white teachers are not easy to connect to on a personal level. Shany says, “None of my teachers have ever pushed me to do better in my class. They never encourage the minorities in this school but they push other white students and encourage them more. Hall needs more diverse teachers because that will be a big help.”

Diversity among teachers is an ongoing change that students and administration are trying to work on.

Terry Brown, a senior at Hall High said, “Teachers are not aware when they say racial slurs and they’re very low key about it.”  Having teachers that look like they’re students will give them a sense of comfortability that they don’t receive with many of their teachers now.

Mrs. Ambroise, Dr. White, and a few other administrators have gathered together to create Future Educators of Diversity. This club focuses on students of color who are passionate about having more diverse teachers who will ensure a level of comfort that students of color have been asking for.

Other than in the class, students have stories of racism in the halls and among lunch tables full of friends. Students like Craig, who is biracial says, “I feel safe at Hall.. but with mixed people I feel like people don’t understand it.”

It’s very obvious that we’re extremely divided, although we have incredible teachers whom we trust, administrators that we rely on, there are things that are being ignored.

Rafaela said, “Being racist is an everyday thing at Hall, it’s like a practice or routine. Very hard to ignore.” Although, racism at Hall is not being ignored it’s definitely not being acknowledged.

Craig said, “I don’t like it (people saying the N-word) because it’s a derogatory term, it’s been used (to call) mine and others ancestors and there’s no place for it in our vocabulary.”

Review the statistics, read the graph, or listen to the racial slurs that are being thrown around. Look at your friends’ social media accounts, is the white girl that you call a friend really exempt from calling you the n-word because you’re her black friend?

Hall Record • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Hall Record Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *