An Upperclassman Male vs. An Underclassman Female

A lot of change and growth occurs as one goes from 9th grade all the way up to 12th grade at Hall High School. Some of this change can be good, and some of this change can be not so good. The biggest change comes in the form of stress. As you work your way up the food chain, you tend to get less stressed about school work.

As Claire Peikes, my sister, states, “I feel very stressed. Particularly in Honors Biology, where despite having an A, I need to study a lot.” I, on the other hand, don’t really feel any stress in any of my classes this year. I tend to stress more over college applications than senior year grades.

But things were much different last year. As Claire recalls, “I was definitely less stressed freshman year because I had to do less work.” Meanwhile, for me, junior year is where the stress level peak. I had to focus on college tours, semester grades, and SAT and ACT scores all at the same time. But sometimes, activities relating to school don’t change. For example, everyday before school, both my sister and I walk to the library to go over homework and study with friends.  But stress isn’t the only acute difference between and upperclassman boy and an underclassman girl. As the gender differences between my sister and I can also impact what we enjoy to do.

While she enjoys watching food network and Bobby Flay, I enjoy watching fox sports and Colin Cowherd. My sister’s obsession with the food network shows too, as she tends to love a variety of entrees and ingredients, while I am a pretty picky eater. She has gotten so wrapped up in the food network that I am almost positive that she could name almost every big star in alphabetical order. And I have gotten so wrapped up in sports, that if you gave me the name of any NBA player, I could name every single team, from middle school through the pros, that he has played for.

This difference of hobbies actually brings up a similarity between my sister and I, and in general between girls and boys and upperclassmen and underclassmen. We like to get involved in stuff. It doesn’t matter if it’s food network, sports, movies, politics. We are all passionate about something. For instance, my sister and I are both passionate swimmers. It doesn’t matter what gender or age or height each of us is. All that matters is that we are each involved.

My advice for underclassmen is to stay involved and to have a good social life. Be passionate about something, anything. And work hard throughout your high school career, even during your final year when senioritis strikes.