How Not to Anger Seniors

Jack Hosey

A dramatic reenactment of a student being removed from the library.

High school can be a long four years, and by the time people are seniors, most just want to get out. Us seniors, may not be too happy in school, but thankfully some people can help make us happier. The staff is doing their best to do their job, and we appreciate that. However, there are some things that we would like the staff to consider when dealing with seniors.

Teachers

Seniors have a lot to deal with through their year, and teachers can be very helpful or hard to manage. It is our last year in this school, and most of us are just trying to make it out. We are all stressing about college work, along with our normal school work. We understand that you do have to teach us throughout the year. However, we want to do as little work as we can, as you probably understand. Oftentimes, we find ourselves staying up late doing our homework, only to be thinking to ourselves that this is just busywork. We know that not all homework is busywork, but we find ourselves in that situation more often than you may think. So, less busywork would be greatly appreciated by many.

Not only do we have other classes with other work, along with college work, we often have to take multiple tests in one day. Now I know that my teachers will not come together and plan tests according to our schedules. However, it would make all of us much happier if we did not have five tests on the same day. Some teachers give the class a say in which day the test will be taken, and I know this benefits many students. Thus making students happy.

Many people know that “You aren’t you when you are hungry”. People are not happy when they are hungry. You may see an uplift in the student’s spirits if they are allowed to eat something while in class. Some teachers say they do not want a mess in their class. I feel if they clean it up, they should be able to eat in class.

Library

Endless chants of, “Four to a table!” and, “It’s getting loud in here. Quiet down!” fill the room, which is oppressively dull despite the offensive yellow paint. A mental asylum, you ask? A prison? No, it’s the library at Hall High school.

Despite all of the strong contenders, the award for “Greatest Annoyance”, by unanimous decision, goes to the librarians. The extent to which they meddle with students is almost incomprehensible.  

To transform the library from an uninhabitable wasteland into a great learning environment, two simple changes must be made: allow more than four people to sit at a table, and allow students to speak above an inaudible whisper. These antiquated rules—which are wanted by no one but the librarians themselves—do nothing to create a better learning environment; maybe if the students—who the school is supposed to be for—had a say in its rules, the library would be a better place.

Also, library passes are stupid. Whoever thought those things up should be sent straight to the guillotine without fair trial.