How to manage stress

A few tips and advice about how to manage the stress caused by well, everything.

Have you ever found yourself breaking down and crying while surrounded by your homework? Well you’re not alone because I have too. Hi, my name is Maya Varney and I am an EXTREMELY stressed person who has mental breakdowns almost daily! Today I’m here to discuss some ways to deal with the many stresses of life and school because stressed students seriously suck at relaxing. The student-on- student competition within the walls of Hall High is extreme, leading people to become upset when their grade is not at least an A. West Hartford native students feel they face higher expectations than other towns; this causes them to overwork themselves (an example would be spending 3+ hours studying for a test while having work in other subjects to be completed.).

For me at least, I have struggled with trying to cope with enormous amounts of stress throughout my high school career. I’m writing this to share some of my go-to techniques that I have found to be the most effective:

1. Get organized. Organization helps declutter your spaces, this aides in the clearing of your mind allowing you to think ahead and plan. TIME MANAGEMENT, make a to-do list, use your agenda, keep your room clean, etc.
  2. Take a bath. Soaking in scalding hot water makes you focus more on how you feel like you’re swimming with satan rather than obsessing over all the responsibilities you have.
  3. Drink some tea. It tastes good and it’s relaxing. Some of my personal fave teas are: chamomile, it is known for its calming effects and isn’t as strong as other teas while also being a natural sleep aide. Another one is green tea; it’s full of antioxidants.  
  4. ~chill~. Literally it is waayyy more simple than everyone makes it. The amount of over thinking that goes into this is excessive; all you have to do is clear your mind. Taking deep breathes or meditation helps you to zone in on yourself. Listening to yourself is key, for you are your first priority when it comes to feeling good.
  5. Cutting out the fakes. I have found this tip to be the most effective. People wear masks; they act one way but deep down they are too insecure to show their true colors. Negative people find joy in bringing the ones who are too good for them down. Don’t waste your time on these people, instead waste theirs. It’s hard to cut negative people out of your life especially when you have so much history with him/her, however it is very possible.
  6. Listening to music. Blast your music and dance it out. Dancing like someone on fire helps give you a physical relief from being overwhelmed. Studies have shown that a physical release is very beneficial which brings me to my next point.
  7. Exercise. Go for a run. Do some hot yoga, whatever floats your boat. Just remember: when in doubt, sweat it out.
  8. Water. Yes, it’s true. H2O has countless advantages. When you are hydrated, your body is more alert, is able to flush out all those nasty toxins (one word… pimples), helps with weight loss, etc.

In an ideal world, stress wouldn’t exist but in reality it is inevitable. Hopefully these few tips will help lessen the horror that is Hall High School, and remember to relax!