Are We Getting Less Patriotic?

Adults view my generation as less patriotic, and do not take us seriously because of it. The parents and adults of generations that came before us feel that they are much more patriotic and able to make choices for their country than us. These three pictures exhibit just the opposite, as it is obvious that our generation is loyal to the nation and only wants it to grow and become a better place to live.  

The first picture, depicting a class of high school students standing for the daily Pledge of Allegiance, portrays how our generation truly is patriotic. We care enough about our country to stand up and say a short statement everyday that pledges our loyalty to this country. The same can be seen at high school sporting events, or every other time that “The Star Spangled Banner” is played. Every student stands up and pays their respects to the flag and everything it stands for.

The second picture is of a student on a computer looking at an American flag. This is a bit ironic as the use of technology is also stereotyped for our generation. Most adults view technology as a bad thing because we are addicted to it in their minds, however, in this picture it can be seen that the student is focused on the country and making it a better place, while honoring the flag and the nation’s vast history.

The final picture is of a high school student preparing a sign to protest gun violence. Here you can see how students are empowered towards change due to yet another school shooting in America, the 43rd school shooting since the start of the century. Protests like these were given a quick glance by many adults and were blatantly ignored by others. However, it is clear that the students voices should be heard and taken seriously because they want the country to be a safer place.