Watch Out for the Disease

As second semester begins to come closer, the seniors at Hall are starting to feel a tickle in their throats and an ache in their heads.  The diagnosis: Senioritis.  Senioritis is defined as a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

The seniors that were interviewed seemed to agree that Senioritis was hitting them hard, and fast.  Gabrielle Little, a senior, said that it feels like a very real thing once you get accepted into college, but you have to know that in the beginning of the year it still matters.  You need to care.  As I went around the school asking students if they were feeling like Senioritis was taking a toll on them many agreed it was a very contagious disease.  Hall senior, Miriam Holsbeke, had an interesting view on the topic.  She explained, “Senioritis seems to start as an idea in everyone’s head, and as it becomes an idea to more people it begins to be a reality.”  She described Senioritis as a “simulacrum”, or something that replaces reality with its representation.  

It was clear that many of the students at Hall High School claim to be feeling some kind of symptoms of Senioritis, so to see how the opinions varied some of the staff was interviewed around the school.  When talking to my school counselor, Mrs. Landers, who deals with lazy seniors every year, she seemed to think that Senioritis hits people at a variety of times.  Although second semester is the most contagious season, she’s seen symptoms in first semester, and even junior year.  She understands that kids are ready to start “stepping of the gas” as she explained, but states that they must know not to completely let go or they will crash!  

Ms. White, a school psychology teacher also had some interesting views on the topic of senioritis.  She explained that as senior year goes on, seniors become fatigued of high school and are ready to start a new chapter, but they are not yet prepared.  Seniors are short-sighted and think only of getting the year done.  Kids will start to resent the adults for thinking that they know what is good for them… “even though we do.” stated White.  
As information was gathered about Senioritis it was unanimous that it is a real thing here at Hall High School.  The opinions on how it should be handled did vary, but as far as expectations, the staff and students all see the virus spreading.  Now, as second semester rolls in we all just need to remember that relaxing a little is normal, but it is not okay to quit yet.  Just one more semester to go!