Mental Health in Schools

Students’ mental health has been a big topic in American high schools. What is being done to help? 

Mental health is an individual’s mental/psychological condition. In school, this person’s condition can fluctuate and increase drastically. This is because of various reasons “such as empathetic and unsupportive teacher-student relationships and a poor classroom or school climate,” said Gerd Schulte-Körne from LMU’s Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He continues to say, “mental health problems in young persons…impair children’s adolescents’ performance and notably increase the risk for absenteeism/truancy from and dropping out of school.”

A student of Hall High School walking past Pupil Services, a place where students are able to talk to school psychiatrists. (Sophie Ohad)

To avoid this outcome because of poor mental health, federal and state governments pass laws. “On July 1, 202, the Legislature passed Public Act 21-46, allowing students to have two mental health wellness days in a school year,” says “The Milford Mirror.”  State Representative Bobby Gibson says that HB5001, passed on April 27, 2022, “addresses these issues:

1. Enhancing the Behavioral Health Workforce
  2. Supporting School-Based Mental Health Services
  3. Expanding Mental Health Treatment Facilities Across the State
  4. Supporting Existing Services
  5. Increasing [mental health treatment access] Through Insurance Coverage”

There are also other services that help students easily access the help they need in schools, like a 504 plan. “First, [someone] asks the school to evaluate the student for a 504 plan,” says Amy Anzilotti. A team is put together and “looks at a child’s grades, test scores, medical records, and what teachers report about the student to decide if the student is eligible for a 504 plan.” 

Jordan Kates, a student at Hall High School, said, “having a 504 plan helps me immensely. Sitting up front allows me to focus better and be near the teacher for help…I also have the option of being able to opt out of doing some questions on the homework, which allows me to do the same problems and understand the material without being overwhelmed by the number of questions. I am…much less anxious and stressed-out than I would be without my plan.” Kelly Fransen, a teacher at Hall High School said, “we have school psychologists, social workers, guidance counselors…I also know that teachers are more ‘informally’ dealing with anxiety and other mental health issues by providing more time in class, less homework, more flexible due dates, etc.”

Responses of 14 students when asked if they feel like Hall High School has given them what they need in order to have good mental health. (Sophie Ohad)

There are also hotlines a person can call if they have mental health problems. Some of these include 2-1-1, SAMHSA, 866-903-3787 if you live in California, and a person can also text 741741.