Love Pops and Jazz 2023? Try.…

April has arrived, and if you’re anything like me, you still have a PnJ sized hole in your heart. With the end of the year rapidly approaching, extra free time is always welcome, but I already miss the excitement of it all.  

Luckily, you don’t have to wait until next March to get your creative juices flowing.  Here’s how you can get involved with the arts at Hall!

Pops and Jazz 2024 Is Still a Year Away, but Why Wait to Get in on the Fun? (Hall High Music Department)

If you’re mad about the music…

Several bands, a group of actors, and other soloists were featured in PnJ ‘23, but there are plenty of other opportunities to work, perform, and learn throughout the year.  

One of Hall’s graduation requirements is to take ½ unit of the arts.  In addition to the visual arts, Hall’s performing arts boasts nearly 20 different classes, spread across the music (instrumental, choral) and theater departments. 

The music department and its subgroups hold multiple official concerts throughout the year.  Even if you aren’t taking a music class, there are other musical opportunities, including Music and Monologues (originally created for the guitar classes, it’s now a low pressure way for any performing arts students to act out a piece or play a tune) and open mic nights.   

If you’re stoked about the skits…

I have the most experience with the theater side of things, and I can easily say it’s been one of the best parts of my high school experience. Last year, Acting 1 introduced me to scene work, historical speeches, and memorization exercises, among other things, with Mr. Spencer Bazzano cracking jokes and offering new insights throughout.  

Another fan favorite activity in the class is the Songalogues Project, where students get to perform their favorite songs as a spoken piece. Now in Acting 2, I got to dress up and live as one of my idols for historical figure day, pick and work on a scene, and learn more about various acting methods.   

One of the best parts of Acting 1 and 2 is that the classes get to pitch final project ideas. Last year, one of my classmates translated a script multiple times via Google Translate, as well as using AI programs, to create a remixed version of the show.  Then, we performed the script as a class, silly phrases, inconsistencies, and all.  

Acting 2 did something similar, performing their live action adaptation of “Teen Beach Musical,” original music, choreography, and all. Mr. Bazzano was there to lead us down the right path, but more than anything else, the emphasis was on taking risks and pushing ourselves creatively. Plus, it was really funny. I still tease my friends (with love of course) about their performances.   

Acting 3 and 4 is combined into Specialized Performance Study (SPS). The first year includes the Painting Project, where actors pick an art piece then design a space where they mimic said piece for the day.  

As a sophomore, I’m already looking forward to my second year of SPS (which I will take as a senior) for a number of reasons. I’ll get to pick a fictional character to be for the day (some of my favorites in the past were Thing 2 and Elle Woods), research and perform a senior thesis (full creative freedom), as well as direct my own show.  

Like the PnJ skits, directing seniors can also write their own original pieces.   This year two seniors took that route, and I can confidently say both shows were hilarious.  But really, what else would we expect from Derek Williams (of morning announcements fame), and “Hall Highlights’” own Maya Patt? 

Outside of classes, anyone can try out for roles in Hall High Theatre productions and events.  In addition to the aforementioned 10-Minute Play Festival, there are also two plays, and a musical (which is also a great singing and dancing opportunity).

Some of my favorite shows during my time at Hall have been “Madea” (a Greek tragedy), “Almost, Maine” (multiple short plays joined by a common theme/setting), and most recently, “Little Shop of Horrors” (a musical about a man-eating plant).  

The audition process is simple and straightforward, leading to daily rehearsals, and four performances. My favorite part? Definitely the treats people bring in for tech rehearsals (I’m only half joking). 

Having been involved in every show during my time at Hall, I’m now part of International Thespian Society (ITS) Troupe 8644, a secret society select group you can join after participating in three or more shows.  That includes acting, as well as tech, and even ushering/concessions!  Together, members collaborate on ways to improve the department, as well as just hang out and bond as a group. 

Other theater related events include  the Shakespeare Monologue Contest (co-run with the English Department and which  includes CASH PRIZES) as well as Unified Theater.   

If you’re thrilled by the tech…

Spotlight not your thing? No worries! The theater department has two stagecraft classes, where students learn about set design, lighting and more. Plus, for every play, musical, and PnJ, there’s plenty to do behind the scenes. 

Close-ups on band soloists? Tech did that.vvLights and sound operations? Tech did that. Set building? Tech did that. Made sure we actually did work, and (more or less) followed the schedule (instead of just messing around)? Tech did that, too, and so much more. 

Last year, I was on cart crew for PnJ (band cart movements, set transitions), and it was an amazing experience.   I got free food, the chance to: tease band kids, watch the show for free, learned so much about what goes into a show, and gained a new respect for backstage life. 

I’ve certainly glazed over some details, but this has gotten way too long, so I’m going to close off here, but feel free to shoot any questions/comments/concerns my way!

If you want to start today!

With course registrations technically done, most of this year’s shows/ensembles already casted, you might be feeling out of luck; but there are still things you can sign up for today! 

Improv Club meets weekly to play games (Dating Game, Freeze, and other Answer Show favorites) and decompress after school. Check @hallimprovclub for meeting dates + more info.  

“Hall Highlights” is also a great creative opportunity because you can write about whatever you want.  I like theater and current events, so that’s what I write about, but you could recap your favorite show, or anything else for that matter!