UCONN Women’s Basketball, Somethin’ Special

The UCONN women’s basketball team has won four straight championships and 11 in total program history. They’re currently on a 107 game winning streak, this being the longest winning streak ever held by any basketball team, male or female. The women currently hold two win streaks that are longer the longest streak ever held by any men’s team.

On march third, player of the year, coach of the year, freshman of the year and scholar-athlete will be announced. Head coach Geno Auriemma said, “Whatever happens happens,”. “I try to tell players all the time, it’s people voting, man, don’t worry about it. Let it happen. Whatever happens, happens. Don’t worry about it. There are more important things.” Auriemma doesn’t want his team to take possible loss of player of the year too personally.

Kia Nurse, Guard, for the UCONN women’s basketball team is a Canadian basketball player now playing for the UCONN huskies. She was the conference preseason player of the year. She also played at the 2017 FIBA world championship. She  won a gold medal at the 2015 Pan American Games. 

“I think I’ve really tried to change my game this whole year and try to do a lot of different things and be able to score in different ways,” said Katie Lou Samuelson, Swingman for the women’s team. Changes are continuously being made for this team and it seems as they keep getting better.

Hall students also give the women’s team a lot of attention. “In the past UCONN women’s basketball has always been good.” says Hall High School student Alyssa Pitek. “Their games are always so entertaining to watch!” The team’s winning streak is like none other, and is continuously being watched by people all over the country.