Meet Hall’s New Security Guard!

We have a new security guard roaming the halls of Hall High School! Jose Rivera is no stranger to Hall or Connecticut, as he previously spent four years here as an SRO (Student Resource Officer). I got to speak to Mr. Rivera, getting to know one of the many friendly faces of Hall Security.

Where did you grow up?

“I grew up in Puerto Rico the formative years. My family is originally from Puerto Rico, and about the age of seven we moved here to the United States where I grew up in Hartford Connecticut.”

What school/ job did you come from?

“I was a police officer in West Hartford before retiring, and my last four years of being a police officer I was the SRO here from 2009-3013. Then I retired and there was nobody at Conard so I worked three and a half years there. Then the opening happened again here, and I was originally from here when I was the SRO, so I decided to come back to Hall.”

What is your favorite thing about Hall?

“The people are very friendly, there is a lot of talented kids whether it is the arts, music, or sports. A lot of welcoming personalities, as soon as you’re here it is so welcoming.”

What is your favorite food?

“I love pizza ya know, and since I am from Puerto Rico your traditional rice beans and chicken.”

What is your favorite sport/sports team?

Baseball is my favorite sport, I played it in high school; and I love the Yankees”

What’s your favorite season?

“I love the summer because the beach and we do a little surfing, its what we do in our down time. And then fall because of the foliage and the colder season is just kinda nice.”

There you have it, Mr. Rivera in a nutshell. Make sure to give Mr. Rivera a welcoming smile, or even to stop and talk about your love (or hate) for the Yankees. I even learned that Mr. Rivera played baseball for my dad and with my uncle at Bulkeley High School. He is a great addition to the Hall high community, and it’s great to have him back!