Let’s Make it Claire: You Get a Breathalyzer Test, You Get Breathalyzer Test, We All Get a Breathalyzer Test

As many people in the Hall Community know, students can now be breathalyzed at school events, and during school. There are varying opinions on the topic, but considering students did not get to voice their opinions before the decision of implementing passive alcohol devices at school events, it is time for students to be heard.

A majority of the respondents believe that breathalyzing students is not an effective way to reduce teenage drinking. I have to agree with the majority, as educating students about drinking responsibly is the only thing that will have a real impact on them. I understand that screening students for alcohol reduces the school’s liability if something happens while a student is under the influence, but the school should be worrying about students futures and not solely on the three hours they are at a school activity.  

This year, during the Chance the Rapper concert at Xfinity “Police in Connecticut made 50 underage drinking referrals and medical staff transported over 90 patients to hospitals, many for severe intoxication” (NBC Connecticut). Teenagers don’t know what do do when they consume alcohol, so when they decide to drink they do it in a very unsafe manner which leads to life threatening consequences. Students will not always say no to peer pressure, and that is why teaching students how to drink responsible now will help them in the future. And that is the main goal of school right? Teaching lessons that will make an impact on lives. Teaching what to do when drinking alcohol has the possibility to save lives. In a perfect world, students under the age of 21 wouldn’t drink, but that is not the case. No matter how many times the phrase “alcohol is a depressant” is repeated teenagers will still consume alcohol. When teens move on from high school and go to college the chances of drinking will go up, and they should know how to drink responsibly So whether students are taught in health class about how to drink responsibly, or the school reaches out to parents to talk to their children about consuming alcohol in a responsible way, there needs be a change. Our school system should be focusing their time on helping and educating their students about responsible drinking instead of spending money on breathalyzers that restrict students from drinking for two hours.