How to Survive College App Season

All across America, students in their final year of high school are researching schools, writing essays, getting recommendation letters, and applying to schools, all while they are also juggling classes, sports, extra-curriculars, and jobs.

The results? Not so pretty. Besides not having enough time to sleep, just thinking of college engenders feelings of anxiety for many high schoolers.

So, how are Hall students doing with all this?  Senior Ben Delagarze estimates that less than 10% have started the process because, “The thought of college is life-threatening stress.”  

Clearly, Hall’s senior class is not in the best state of mind at the moment, so how do we tackle this dreaded college process? First, let’s go over the most common mistakes and/or problems you may encounter along the way.

Not Doing Anything Junior Year

Junior year is considered by many to be the hardest in one’s high school career. It’s the final full year that will appear on the transcript to colleges, so the pressure for high grades is very real. What this means is there’s no time to research colleges for many juniors, but it’s a good idea to get a jump on this process as early as possible.

In fact, Christine Chu, a premier college admissions counselor at IvyWise, a New York-based education consulting company, recommends creating a to-do list, especially during junior year. “Once you can see it visually, the number of tasks and a schedule to do them, it simplifies a lot of things. It will take away a lot of the anxiety,” she says.

Requesting Rec Letters Late in the Game

It’s best to request rec letters at least two months before the deadline.  “The more time students can give the authors of those recommendations, I think the more thorough and helpful those recommendations are going to be for us,” says Niki Barron, associate director of admissions at Middlebury College in Vermont.

Another reason you shouldn’t wait to request those letters of rec is that colleges may not receive all parts of the application if it is sent too close to the deadline.  So get this on the checklist early!

Having a Parent do the Work

Everyone wants to demonstrate independence and responsibility, and colleges want to see that from you, too, but how can that happen if it’s Mom or Dad handling all the paperwork? “It doesn’t tell us a student is interested if we get 15 phone calls from Mom,” says Tom Weede, vice president for enrollment management at Butler University. Calling the college or university yourself shows interest, so don’t hesitate to do it if it comes to it!

Long Resumes

You know how resumes should only be two pages max? The same goes for the one sent to colleges. Trust us, and save extracurriculars for its section on the application.

Failing To Proofread

This should go without saying. Proofread.

Being Repetitive

Sometimes colleges will request supplementary essays. One of the greatest mistakes that can be made is repeating a quality or achievement of oneself in every essay.

DON’T. Don’t even repeat it in the same essay.

The reason colleges ask for essays is to get a glimpse of the person who wrote it. Said person is much more than just one achievement or quality. Humans are complex and so are you, so show it.

Additionally, science teacher Anthony Wasley recommends writing about challenges: “How someone overcomes a challenge defines them.”

Don’t Write a Generic Essay

Everyone prefers a personalized letter over a store-bought card, including colleges. They love to see sincerity from the applicant when asked why they want to attend their school as opposed to any other.

In other words, don’t just change the name of the university/college in the same essay every time you submit it to a new one. Instead, write another essay, and yes, we understand it’s much more work, but it will pay off in the end.  

Overemphasizing Extracurriculars

Another typical part of senior year is the sudden participation in various activities whether it’s clubs, volunteering, sports, etc. Admissions officers will see through this facade—unless you can speak to those extracurriculars and explain your interests in them.

“We want to know where a student’s passions lie, and genuine interests tend not to appear suddenly in senior year,” says Sarah Richardson, director of admissions and scholarships at Creighton University.

In other words, stick to the clubs you actually take interest in and focus on your passions.  A student’s focus and determination to do well leads to great things, another reason why colleges are always on the lookout for these qualities.

Failing to Check Class and Testing Requirements

You’re researching colleges and find what you believe to be your perfect fit. You hurry to apply, writing out your personal essay, completing the supplementary essays, and, finally, you are about to submit everything until you take another look at the admissions requirements.

…Aaand it looks like you can’t apply.

Bummer.

Unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do at this point, but if you were actually applying for early decision, there may still be time to get any testing requirements like SAT subject tests done before regular decision due dates.  As for class requirements, there really isn’t much that can be done in your senior year, but it’s all the more proof that the earlier the research begins, the better.

Not Applying Due to Application Fees

For anyone who feels like application fees are an obstacle, there are ways to help ease the pain. Many colleges offer and/or accept application waivers, though know that one must apply for these separately.  And, free application isn’t just for low-income students. If you have a College Board™ account, four application waivers are given automatically.

Also, many schools waive application fees if you apply early.  Furthermore, some schools have “Instant Admission Day,” an event where college admissions officers will meet prospective students and give them a free admissions decision on site (note that the highly selective schools don’t typically practice this).

The reality is you will encounter challenges on the journey to college; nevertheless, there are teachers, family, counselors, and others who will help you get there.  Math teacher Donna Ranieri suggests, “Be honest” throughout the process. Don’t hesitate to reach out and get the help you need so you can find the success you deserve!