The Impact of Parkland Students

Resounding bangs of gunshots echoed through the halls of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018. Loud sirens of police cars and ambulances wailed through the Floridian air, with people’s worst fears being realized: another mass shooting has occurred.

The aftermath of the shooting in Parkland, Florida, left 17 students and staff injured, and 17 more dead. According to Michelle Cottle, writer at The Atlantic, there’s a cycle to mass shootings. First, there’s despondency and fury. After comes discussion, where everyone begins to stray from the topic in favor of different news. Lastly, Cottle explains, “…there’s the quiet realization by all that nothing is going to change.”

Yet, Parkland students broke the cycle. Through televised interviews and rallies in multiple states, these high schoolers made waves throughout the nation. They were arguably the most important event this year. And Cottle’s piece, “How Parkland Students Changed The Gun Debate”? The most important article of 2018.

Tiffany Qin, a student of Hall High School, disagrees. “Even though at that time it [the Parkland shooting] was influential and important, right now it really is insignificant.” Qin’s words make a fair point– with over 300 mass shootings having happened in 2018, one school shooting doesn’t seem like much.

But through Cottle’s article, inspiration is given to those who couldn’t speak out before. Not only does the article inform readers, it encourages a fight for change by igniting sympathy with these teens. Furthermore, the article helps onlookers bring up the gun debate from the perspective of those who suffered through gun violence.

What makes the situation so significant is the unique voice these students have. Teenagers have the balance of being both perceptive and scaldingly sarcastic. Unlike the Generation Z stereotypes that befall them, adolescents do have the power to create change. Like Emma Gonzalez. Like David Hogg. And like the other Parkland students.