Swerving Senioritis

Mac Mahoney

Nolan Tibball, a 17 year-old senior, continues the grind weeks after committing to college.

As senior year progresses, expectations of achievement remain fixed while motivation levels rapidly decline. Senioritis is defined by Urban Dictionary as a crippling disease with symptoms including “A lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as Graduation.” It is a problem that affects students and teachers alike.

Large workloads, college decisions, and AP exams are key contributors to the stress and lack of motivation commonly seen in second semester seniors. Hall High business teacher, Carlie Dailey, states, “I definitely think that getting accepted into college does have something to do with it. But I don’t think that’s true for everybody, I think seniors are just ready to be done and move on and have a hard time seeing the value.”

For many seniors, this quote rings true. While some contribute their lack of motivation to high stress levels, often times, many students are just ready to leave.

Although frustrating for teachers, most understand senioritis, having previously been in their students’ shoes . “By the time senior year hit I was ready to be out of my house and on my own,” Dailey added.

This problem stems from students reaching a so-called “finish line.” This ideology has been interpreted in multiple ways. Brennan Barnard, Forbes contributor says this is commonly seen as May 1st (the National candidate reply date), in his article Senioritis: College Acceptances in Jeopardy.

On the other hand, Kat Cohen, college admissions counselor, says the moment that seniors hit “‘submit’ on that last college application can feel like collapsing across a huge finish line.”

Students at Hall experience senioritis differently. Some have even been suffering from symptoms since mid-junior year. Others have even resorted to taking naps to alleviate high stress.

Josh Ort
Hall senior struggles to stay awake with multiple forms of caffeine on board while studying.

There are also students like Colin Delaney, who has optimized his senior year performance. Colin applied early action to all of his prospective colleges and recommends that all upcoming seniors do the same. “My mom was riding me to finish my applications early, and I was kind of annoyed, but it ended up being the right choice. You have a better chance of getting in, too, if you apply earlier.”

For the seniors trying to stay afloat, there are many tips to help combat senioritis. Many college counselors recommend setting academic goals, improving study habits, and taking breaks so you don’t feel drowned in schoolwork. Delaney recommends “Fake it till you make it. I’m usually tired, but I know I’ll wake up as the day goes on.”

The most important thing is to not give up too early. Procrastination and lower grades in senior year will affect your future. If you plan to go to college, every grade matters. “Yes, colleges can rescind acceptances. If a student gets into a highly selective college, then drops from an A to a C or D average spring semester, that college will seriously reconsider if that student is prepared for college in the fall. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of rescinded acceptances every year,” said Cohen in her Huffington Post article.

Make the most of your last year of high school. Have fun, but still work hard. Before you know it, you will be graduating.