The Library Rules… Or Does It?

Our collection of photographs was designed to demonstrate the inequity that exists with the current laws of the Hall High School library. Intending to reduce noise levels, the librarians instated a “Four Chair Rule” six years ago that would limit four people to a table. Students have recently noted an increase in the enforcement of this rule. While the librarians stand by their decision, claiming it has effectively kept volume to a minimum, we wanted to reveal the opposing evidence on this polarizing issue.

Our first image, accentuated by the curves of the bookcase, shows the sign that displays the “Four Chair Rule” information. Upon sitting down in the library, a student’s attention is drawn to this sign. Clearly, the librarians have made this a top priority. In addition, a reference to this rule is made on the front of the sign, highlighted in yellow, which is one of the first things students see as they enter the library.

In the second image, we re-created five scholars diligently working with little to no disruptions to their peers and the library environment. Shortly after this photo was taken, the librarians enforced their rule, requiring one student to leave the table.

In the third picture, we put ourselves as two students who are obnoxiously gossiping with no work out in front of them. As depicted, the librarian originally walked past us without so much as a glance. She did return, telling us to be quiet. That further proves our point:  When it comes to library seating, shouldn’t the noise level trump the number of people at table? Librarians should target volume level and the people causing it, instead of those who are productive and happen to be part of a larger group.

We hope to prove that five students can be more productive and quiet than two, and this is what librarians should focus on, rather than enforcing a rule based on a number. Hall librarians have confirmed with their counterparts at other schools that four is the perfect number of students at a table to maintain a productive work environment. However, Hall is not like other schools, even within our own town.

At Conard, there is no four chair policy. This might be because Conard has much more collaborative space to work with, something students and librarians at Hall have requested for years. It’s unfortunate the administration has yet to allocate funds to this important cause.  And that’s why this photo essay was completed (and revised multiple times for publication) – to bring attention to this important issue.