College Admissions Process: Exposed!

Matthew Mendoza

College Posters and Flags decorating and adding some color to the Career Center walls.

Matthew Mendoza
A student pictured working on school work and studying for the SAT that took place this week.

To get into college, it’s said that you must have countless extracurriculars, a high GPA, excellent test scores, and be an “outstanding” human being.  That should be enough right? Wrong.  Students come to find that their hard work meant nothing because the college admissions process is flawed and unfair.

Throughout high school, students are told there’s no opportunity for down time.  The norm is to overwhelm schedules with a multitude of extracurriculars when truthfully, this does not guarantee them acceptance. In his Washington Post article “The real college admissions scandal isn’t bribes and cheating.  It’s how wealth tilts the playing  field,” Scott E. Page states “It’s obvious why elite schools want high achievers.  These schools want students who will remake and improve the world.” There are many applicants who have similar statistics, but unfortunately colleges cannot accept everyone.  The overall point is effort does not guarantee success.  Emma Boulter, a senior at Hall High School, says “The [my] grades and statistics do not represent me or how I learn well at all.” Colleges claim they want extraordinary individuals who will bring something of value to their institution.  However, an application barely allows students to portray themselves to that extent or even properly at all, thus causing admission counselors to reject someone who may have been able to succeed to the school’s desire.                                                                                                                         

During the unavoidable conversation regarding college plans, hard-working seniors develop resentment for athletes who get recruited to play at “their” school. While the majority of college students focus mainly on academics, others use their athletic status to achieve success; and, unfortunately, colleges encourage this behavior. Hall High School senior, Joey Kornman, provides an explanation for the special treatment athletes receive, saying “Colleges accept athletes with low stats because their ultimate goal is to make money.” In this case, admission counselors are blatantly contradictory when claiming their decision is made solely based on academic performance. Decisions are profit driven rather granted to  those who rightfully worked for it.

People who are in the midst of the college process need to take note of how college student, Sam Werner sees the situation. From an article on a New York Times blog titled, “The Burden of the College Admissions Process”, he expresses, “I’m just going to be myself and if I don’t get into the school, I don’t get into the school.” People need to simply learn to enjoy themselves in high school and realize that they will be happy wherever they end up.

In the end, your collegiate future isn’t in your hands, so just try your best. Don’t stress over making yourself out to be the “perfect college applicant;” it clearly doesn’t exist.