COVID-19 Vaccine Available for 16 and Up

As of April 1, 2021, the COVID-19 vaccine became available to anyone ages 16 and up in Connecticut. Opinions are mixed in Hall as students ponder whether they will or will not sign up to get the vaccine. 

Many of Hall’s juniors and seniors are older than 16,and are authorized to receive the Pfizer vaccine. A lot of these students will jump on this opportunity and already have their appointments scheduled. 

Chris, 17, receives his first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.

For a while now, individuals have been limited in their social life, due to social distancing and safety precautions, but this may be able to change soon. “It [the vaccine] will not only help less people get sick but it will also help people feel more comfortable and in control when they are around loved ones and friends,” explains senior, Emma Nordquist.

Students also have different perceptions on safety around those who do not want to be vaccinated. Social distancing will remain a common theme as some individuals only feel safe “if they [people who are not getting vaccinated] have a mask on and are six feet away,” says Rylie Dagnall, a Hall senior who is in favor of being vaccinated. 

A few students at Hall High School have made up their mind and will not get vaccinated any time soon. These decisions will be made out of safety precautions and wanting more research behind the vaccine. 

“I don’t know what it is made out of so I don’t feel safe,” says senior Etni Tejada. “I don’t think my friends should get it either but everyone has their opinions.”  

It is hard for some students to trust the injection without learning more about it, especially for those who have pre-existing medical conditions that already cause them concerns. Senior Alex Hobbs has “heard things about people with blood clotting after getting the vaccine.” He adds “I would rather rely on my immune system to fight off the virus.” 

Other students aren’t comfortable getting the vaccine because they believe that implications behind it need to be further investigated before being provided to the public. For the most part, these individuals want to wait for more research and tests to be conducted. 

“I personally do not plan on getting the vaccine. For one, it takes a lot of years to develop, so it feels like it is getting rushed,” says senior Oscar Sosa. “We don’t know anything behind it, and we don’t know the side effects and negative things coming out of it. So, unless it is 100% clear that it has no negative effect, I’m not comfortable taking it.” 

There have also been discussions about making the vaccine required for certain social situations. Individuals have varying opinions on whether or not it is moral and appropriate to make a vaccination mandatory. Some have also voiced their attitudes towards the thought of requiring the vaccine for school. 

“I’m very comfortable getting the vaccine but it [requiring the vaccine for school] would be a little bit like we are tiptoeing against the invasion of people’s rights to their own body to go do what they want” says Hall High School Teacher, Dr. Palmisano.

Further information on the vaccine and new requirements will continue to be released as more adolescents 16 and up are becoming fully vaccinated. To read more, visit the CDC and FDA websites.