The Choice First Generation Americans Have When Dealing with Their Culture

True to the “melting pot” and “salad bowl” metaphors, first generation immigrants in America are easily able to maintain their culture if they wish, yet some want to assimilate into majority culture, erasing their own. 

According to Webster Dictionary, First Generation Americans are defined as people born in the United States to at least one immigrant parent. 

America is a hub for immigrants, and as they begin their new lives in America, they are tasked with the decision: to try and maintain their culture, or assimilate into the dominant society.

According to Pew Research Center there are 20 million Adults, born in the United States to immigrant parents. With wars in Syria and Ukraine creating refugees seeking asylum in America, that number will only increase in the coming years as they settle down and start families. 

There is pride in being associated with a group, a sense of belonging and community. In America because immigrants are in the minority, it makes them different. Senior, and first generation Chinese American, Tina Chen said, “I like the fact that I have a different nationality, something distinct about me in terms of culture.” This is similar to the opinion held by Kristina Tsantiris, an art teacher at Hall High School and a first generation Greek American, who says, “I’m very proud of my culture and I’m very proud of the [Greek] music and my cultural identity. I studied Greek art and art history was my major in college.”

Yet not everyone shares that opinion. A-17-year-old student at Hall High School, Abhinav Aitha was born in the United States to immigrant parents from Andhra Pradesh, India.  He seeks to conform. “I try to whitewash myself as much as possible. I’m kind of iffy about my culture. I was forced into a lot of it when I was younger and it turned into resentment of it when I got older.” 

Indian and Nepali students in traditional clothing during a Diwali Party (Annie Campbell)

Whether or not we like our culture, it impacts us right from birth. It determines what our birth name is, what foods we eat, how we dress, and how our family interacts. Culture is the foundation of expectations and the values families have. It shapes our futures by outlining what acceptable careers are. “I’m expected to become a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. Those are my career options” Aitha said.

Because these Americans get exposed to two cultures, their families at home and then American culture from school and friends, they get two very different perspectives and sets of values. This can be beneficial in cases where they can get the best of both worlds, incorporating what they like from both cultures, and choosing one over the other. 

On the other hand, it could also cause a disconnect between the immigrant parents and their children. Chen speaking on her experiences with her parents says, “There is a lot of communist rhetoric that my dad grew up with, and some of his political views are very different from what I feel because I grew up with more American ideals which differ from the values and beliefs that are commonly held in China.” The children could also come to dislike their own culture due to their differences with other people growing up.

First Grader learns Chinese in an attempt to preserve her culture in America (Ana Haubrich)

“There is a lot of racism as you know,” said Chen,  “And I think that makes a lot of kids want to avoid embracing their culture.” Clearly the social environment in schools makes a big impact on how first generation immigrants view themselves and their culture. By practicing open mindedness and kindness every

one can make an impact on helping to preserve cultural differences within the US. 

Patterns in immigration may change depending on global events and conflict, but the prevalence of immigration to the United States has been consistent since before the country’s founding. Living in a heterogeneous country allows people to be exposed to other cultures. Yet the preservation of one’s culture is important to individuals and American culture has been moving towards putting an emphasis on celebrating diversity and different cultural practices.