Are You Ready for Some Wrestling?

On April 30, 2022, the Boys and Girls Club of Bristol hosted a wrestling tournament with three different divisions, Elementary School, Middle School, and High School. In this tournament many different clubs from around Connecticut attended. This tournament is held as a fundraiser and the next tournament will be held on June 12, 2022. To enter the tournament you have to go to floareana.com and look for the 2022 June Bristol Brawl [CT] and fill out the registration form then show up to the weigh-ins and pay the $25 admissions fee or just register in person and pay the $30 admission fee.

One of the top clubs in this tournament in Connecticut is KT Kidz. Myself and other Hall students who attended this tournament were junior Tony Ortiz, freshman Mike Ortiz, and sophomore Alonzo Guevara. This club is open to all age grades and anyone can join. The club’s most recent session is the two summer sessions which are $150 each or you can pay for both for $250. The sessions are from June 6 to July 8 and August 1 to September 2. The club competes in big tournaments such as Fargo in Fargo North Dakota and the ultimate club duals in Pennsylvania.

This tournament was a useful experience for us wrestlers to get more mat time and get more experience with the feel of a tournament. In this tournament, there were many tough wrestlers but overall KT Kidz did well as a team with having Mike Ortiz as a 2nd place finisher in his weight class, Alonzo Guevara as a 4th place finisher in his weight class, Tony Ortiz going 3-4, and Angel Acevedo as a 4th place finisher, and  KT Kidz ending in 1st place with a 38 point lead over the 2nd place finishers. 

The two main coaches of KT Kidz are coach Knapp, the host of the club, and coach West. you can be any age to sign up for the club, to sign up you need to become a USA wrestling member by purchasing a membership for $40 a year and paying the $300 registration fee for the club. For high schoolers, practices are Mondays and Wednesdays and for the younger kids, practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays and Fridays are for everyone but anyone can go to any of the practices. Practices are held in Rocky Hill from 6 pm to 8 pm.