Breaking News in Brief

American Government Lost Nearly 1,500 Children

Scandalous! 1,475 undocumented immigrant children who arrive at the southwest border were placed into temporary homes by the U.S. Government. Then , when the feds checked, the children couldn’t be accounted for; essentially America almost 1,500 innocent children. But what really happened, both the with the children over recent years and the buzz of viral story over the last week is less clear than the headline.

Who are these 1,475 children?

These are among the waves of undocumented children and teenagers who have been arriving at the southern border by the thousands each year, unaccompanied by parents or legal guardians. The majority of them are from El Salvador, Honduras, and the guatemala, three central american countries ranked by the cartel violence, gangs, poverty, and political turmoil. Once they reach thee u.s. Border they either cross the border illegally and turn themselves into border patrol agents or they present themselves to u.s. Customs and border protection officers at legal ports of entry and ask for asylum. They are placed in immigration processing and turned over to the the office of Refugee resettlement part of the whe department of health and human services. From october through december of 2017 , ORR attempt to contact 7,635 unaccompanied minors, steven wagner, acting assistant secretary for the administration of children and families , part off ORR told senate subcommittee in april.

Did the government ‘lose’ 1,475 migrant children?

Not really. It possible many of the unaccompanied children may have moved, or the government simply was unable to track them down; but  the 1,475 number shows the government still does not do a good job of tracking unaccompanied minors once they have been released from ORR custody. That puts them at risk of being exploited at the hands of labor traffickers, gangs, or other bad actors.”The problem is if the U.S. government is not making much of an effort to figure out what the situation is that creates an opportunity for these more isolated but horrific instances of abuses that happen that could have been prevented if the government were paying more attention,” she said.

One of Hall High School’s many immigrant students.

100 Deadliest Day of Summer

With the start of the summer also beggins what safety experts call the 100 deadliest days of summer, mainly teens and young drivers. An average of 260 teenagers are killed in car crashes every month during the summer which is more than a quarter compared to the other seasons; we save live said ‘motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause for death of teenagers. Distracted driving causes ⅗ each day according to we save lives. However teens’ largest distraction isnt their cell phones but their passengers. The percentage of teens who drink and drive has gone decreased by more that 50% in the last 25 years according to the federal centers for disease control and prevention. Drivers from ages 16- 20 are 17 more times more likely to to die in a car crash when they they have BAC of 0.08% what the state laws considered drunken driving than drivers that had not been drinking. “The vast majority of young people that lives in end alcohol related crashes are killed on friday and saturday afternoon” Scott Hadland of boston university school of medicine to Reuters.

White Spaces:  Public’s Problem to Solve, Not the Police

More than 8,000 Starbucks coffee shops in the US are going to be closed the afternoon may, 29 so employees could go through training on how to deal with racial bias.This crash course comes after that now- infamous incident when a barista called the police and two black men were walked out with handcuffs. Since then, more examples of white people call the police on people of color, mostly African Americans, when there’s little to no reason to do so. Over the past month, the presence of black people had also Been challenged while playing on a golf course, moving into apartment, napping in a college door and barbecuing in the park. The targets of these calls were people of color, most often black people, who ultimately were living there everyday lives. This flurry of examples over the last couple of months are part of a systemic problem of people abusing the 911 system to racial lines. Now, of course, not every called and I would want involving different races about race, but this list of incidents points to an unsettling pattern – a troupe of teen-age Muslims poets, two black, two brown, giggling outside of Vermont Club where they were going to perform, Native American brothers on a college campus store, and black students shopping for prom in Missouri. There’s no hard data on how these calls happen, but it’s not new. Thanks for social media, people are just more weird. A 2016 pew poll found that roughly half of black people surveyed said someone acted suspicious because of their race in that past year. This goes to show that even though the Civil Rights Movement took root in the mid-twentieth century brought change to the racist laws and the whites only signs to be used this was only principal police continue to practice enforcing Unwritten rules of exclusionary white space. And CNN’s Jesse Williams Judith Brown Daniels believe walk Starbucks has taken steps to you last month as it is as a teachable moment for its countless employees these occurrences will continue until we grapple with the history of white supremacy and roll of the police and black existence this requires building an understanding of the trauma that faces black people whose presence is challenge and who must defend that presence to the police.

Hall teacher and student enjoy Starbucks.
Zandra enjoys a Starbucks, too.