Virtual Unified Theater: Putting the Spotlight on Ability Through the Screen

Covid-19 has affected us all in one way or another, but it has hit the special needs community especially hard. Social distancing guidelines make it difficult for students to interact with paraprofessionals and teachers, and wearing a mask is difficult for students who struggle with anxiety and sensory issues. Unified Theater, a program here at Hall, puts the spotlight on ability and advocates the importance of inclusion, This program is the highlight of many of these individuals’ year. It allows for neurodiverse students to interact and form friendships with those that are neurotypical. Filled with lots of singing and dancing, Unified is incredibly fun for all involved. With over one hundred participants, and more joining every week, it is one of the biggest clubs at Hall. Unfortunately, like so many other programs, Unified Theater is not able to run like it usually does this year. This year’s show will be recorded and presented through a YouTube livestream. While the club has been meeting virtually, many participants agree that it’s not the same as meeting in person. Luckily, on Wednesday, October fourteenth, Unified Theater had its first in person meeting. Participants all wore masks, and remained socially distant. With the help of the club advisors, paraprofessionals, student leaders, and all club members, it was an overwhelmingly successful meeting. It provided a sense of normalcy to many, reuniting old friendships as well as sparking new ones.