How COVID Affected Hall High Seniors

Senior lacrosse player Luke Duzan practices with a mask on due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Duncan

Juniors at hall high school were surprised by the sudden cancellation of schools in early 2020 due to COVID-19. One year later, the same kids are still forced to change the way they live and learn. As school continues on and advancements towards COVID-19 are made, the class of 2021 was deprived from their final High School experience and were forced to settle with this alternative version that we now know as school today.

High School Academics

The new virtual and hybrid school models have hurt students academically. Online classes are not a complete substitute for in-person ones, lacking many of the things that students look forward to. Without socialization, students lost motivation to try. 

“I think that covid has made it a lot harder to meet new people,” said student Gabriella Rego about online school, you’re only really seeing half your cohort. Rego is not alone. Many hall students share similar sentiments, not only socially, but academically as well.

A recent study conducted by the American think-tank Brookings Institution found that academic achievement in 2020 reached a historic low. By comparing national academic growth and achievement from past to present, it was found that “achievement of students in 2020 was about 5 to 10 percentile points lower compared to same-grade students the prior year.” The average A student became a B student, B students dropped to C’s, and so on.

How college applications (including SATs, visits, acceptances) were impacted

Other changes and impacts brought to us from the pandemic were specific to the college process and how it greatly affected admissions. The ideals and dreams of taking a couple of days off from school to go visit a college campus of where you desired to go changed to virtual visits and 3-Dimensional versions of the campus for you to see online. 

Many colleges decided to make changes to their admissions such as becoming test-optional and making it fairer for students who weren’t able to take the standardized tests and have them included in their student profile. As said by Heath Einstein, dean of admissions at Texas Christian University, said “ ‘The pandemic caused tectonic shifts in the college admission process…In a flash, students were homebound, unable to engage with their college search in traditional ways’ ”. The sudden change in learning and adjusting to the new way of education, as well as being limited to how they could fill out their student profiles. 

Not alone with just students, budgets and admission percentages decreased tremendously, making the already seeming difficult process gain another advantage. Standardized testing has even come into question and now many colleges even after this year’s admissions, will continue being test-optional, for that fewer students feel obligated to shoot for a high score when whether or not they include it in their applications doesn’t matter. “ ‘If a student applies without tests, they get full consideration. If they apply with tests, they get full consideration’ ” as said by Richard Shaw, dean of admissions at Stanford University. The old importance and emphasis on the SAT and the endless amount of parents who’d pay to have their children tutored for it will go down significantly as the years go by. 

Even the approach to post-high school plans has changed and fewer people strive to submit applications to colleges. Matthew Pietrafetta of Inside Higher Ed published an article speaking about the changes to school and the college application process and how people should change to handle it properly. He wrote, “College admissions also took a hit: the Common Application received 8 percent fewer applications through Nov. 2 compared to the previous year, and 60 percent of its 921 members reported declines in new applications…applications from first-generation students and students who can’t afford application fees are falling”. The college admission process is seeming to struggle to reel people into their schools and failing to focus on the more important needs and issues that resulted from the pandemic.

Mental Health Impact

The 2021 soon-to-be graduates were deprived of many of the social aspects of school, that before wasn’t thought of twice. Students’ schedules changed to follow the guidelines, constant cancellations of sports, proms, student sections, outings, and field trips. Traditions were forced to come to a halt. There are no “fun” interactions at school. Many of the little things that were taken for granted and overlooked, simple things like having a lunch period, collaboration with partners, and the use of the library. School for many has become simply work and allows the students to appreciate the environment hall used to have. 

Because of these negative connotations with school, students struggle to engage and stay interested in school and affects their mental health as well as grades. Anxiety and stress can be seen on the rise. High-school students are often overlooked, but these years are essential for the growth and maturing processes in people’s lives. Senior and Blue Reign leader Colin Monnes said, “Being a blue Reign leader, it was very sad to find out we would have no fan sections. Football games

were one of the most fun things to do in our fall. Cheering on our team with the whole school together was a lot of fun. It was sad to see what the leaders were able to do last year, and how I had the chance to do similar things, but due to COVID-19

was taken away that ability and wasn’t going to be able to”. This statement elaborates on the idea that the senior class of 2021 is being robbed of many experiences given with their final year of High School. And as he said it made him sad, a lot of people are. Senior year in the past has been a lot of fun, and many people look forward to it throughout high school. So, it causes some negative and depressing feelings throughout the students knowing they never got to fully experience that. 

An almost empty cafeteria one year after the infamous outbreak of COVID-19
(Kevin)

Sports and COVID-19

Sports for the class of 2021 was not the senior experience most expected. In a year with so many rules and stipulations due to COVID-19, the competition was limited for almost every sport, with teams only allowed to play in their area and state tournaments being canceled. For many, senior year is essential in college recruitment, and not getting that year to show coaches what they could do heavily affected their recruitment. Senior track captain Greta Magendantz explained her experience with recruiting this year saying, “my goal was to be a division three track and field athlete, and while that could still happen, it would be as a walk-on rather than recruitment because I had no spring 2020 season or winter 2021 season.” Many senior athletes, experienced this as well. With no film from the end of junior/senior year, it was difficult for athletes to reach out to college programs because they had such little varsity film. Many talented athletes missed out on opportunities to continue their sport in college or continue at a higher level because of the issues COVID-19 brought.

In addition to the impact on recruiting, staying positive during the season was also challenging at times. Lots of seniors were expected to be leaders on their teams and keeping a positive mindset was important when competing. For Greta, competing in Track where there is usually lots of collaboration in practices and at meets staying positive was key in having a successful season saying “Everyone on the track and field team tries to keep a positive attitude, and the team showed a lot of unity to try and compete and be positive at all times.” The resilience of the seniors to maintain that attitude shows the character of the class of 2021 and their leadership enhanced the experience for every other student participating in sports.

Senior lacrosse player Luke Duzan practices with a mask on due to the Covid-19 pandemic. (Duncan)

There is hope for the future, however, as recent vaccination efforts in Connecticut have lowered the risk for all. Teachers have already been treated with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and students over 16 can sign up for a vaccine through the school. 

“I feel more excited now…” stated Rego, about the current progress being made. “We are all back together and it’s starting to feel normal again”. Spring sports and activities are resuming, leaving students feeling hopeful for the future.