The Benefits of Joining the Military After High School

Many people believe that joining the military is a simple and straightforward process, when in reality there are numerous amounts of directions you can go. A popular decision is going through a military school. The process varies but, according to Brendan Canarie, (whose brother went to West Point) “Everyone typically goes through the same process during high school then applies to get into a Military college”. In high school you visit a recruiter, you then take a ASVAB test to figure out what your specialty is, like being in infantry or driving a truck. You then have to take a medical and physical test. After all of these tests they let you know if you were accepted and your are then sent to boot camp. Even though it’s a long process, the benefits will last a lifetime.  

A key benefit is traveling. In addition to seeing the world while serving your country, military members and their families are eligible for financial aid. On the official Army website it states that the military pays relocation expenses for you and your family.  The military also offers flights to almost anywhere in the world at little or no cost and space available lodging at any military base.” So joining a branch of the military opens the door to new opportunities that you never thought were possible. Although going overseas to go to college is an option, the Military relocates you often so you are never in one place, which lets you experience multiple cultures and cities.

When the average person thinks of the military, they probably think about the army stationed out in remote parts of Iran or Afghanistan. But contrary to popular belief, the military offers a whole list of other locations to be stationed at. For example, the military’s presence around the world gives you the chance of living in Itaewon, Seoul; a densely populated military neighborhood in South Korea. Also Torii Station in Okinawa, Japan, a huge base with a population of over 40,000 military officials and their families. The beautiful town of Sicily, Italy is offered as well. But if you’re not comfortable leaving the country, then there is definitely a national guard base in your state so that you’re close to home.

Money isn’t a problem when joining the military. One benefit is source of income that you will be offered is your base salary, which is at least $1,200 a month (if you’re a Private in the army with less than two years of experience.) But after a couple years of experience, a General of the Army is making $15,583 a month! Another benefit with the military is how they cover you and your families health insurance, along with covering a maximum of $400,000 of your life insurance. Not only that every year you get 30 days paid leave. The last benefit is the student loan forgiveness reward which you get for risking your life to fight for your country.

To conclude, the option of joining the military is highly recommended. It’s essentially a combination of other post-high school options, such as a university education, a gap year and a job all in one. Along with the other benefits of your personal health, payed insurance and payed education. To join the military would be a well thought-out decision that would pay off for the rest of your life.